Is Your Heart Health Affecting Your Life?
Few organs in the human body are as vital as your heart. Weighing an average of 11 ounces, the heart transports oxygen, provides your body with nutrients, and removes toxins.
But what about your heart’s function in the bedroom?
You’re familiar with the deep sound, la dub, la dub, as anticipation builds up. And the hard pounding in your chest as it gets hot and heavy under the sheets.
But did you know cardiovascular health can affect your ability to perform?
One study says men with multiple risk factors for heart disease may be more likely to develop erectile dysfunction.
The researchers focused on seven risk factors for heart disease: high blood pressure, elevated cholesterol, obesity, poor diet, and smoking. You can read more about the study here.
So the good news is you can take steps to reduce the risk of erectile dysfunction (like you can reduce the risk of heart disease).
Here are a few ways to enjoy a healthy heart and sex life:
Exercise and eat a heart-healthy diet
It’s no exaggeration to say healthy eating and exercise is important for your heart. Just look at these numbers:
- In 2013, a study reported a 21% reduction in coronary heart disease (CHD) events in men due to higher levels of physical activity.
- American Heart Association (AHA) reported that active people with high blood pressure, cholesterol levels, and heart disease are less likely to die prematurely than inactive people with the same conditions.
- Statistics show that 21% of chronic heart disease is attributable to a BMI above 21.
Ready to get moving? Check with your doctor first. But the AHA recommends moderate to vigorous physical activity 3 to 4 times per week.
When it comes to the kitchen, control your portion size, eat more vegetables and fruits, choose whole grains, and limit unhealthy fat.
Reduce your alcohol intake and smoking
We get it. You’ve been drinking or smoking since you came of age (or at least your parents thought it was your first beer). But, there comes a time in every man’s life where “in moderation” is no longer an option.
Or as C.S. Lewis put it, “You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.”
Want to spice things up in the bed? Set a new goal to reduce (or cut out) alcohol and smoking. Take small steps at first, like only drinking one glass of wine in the evenings. Then gradually trim from there.
Watch your numbers
Too many people wait until they visit their healthcare provider to check their cholesterol, blood pressure, and sugar levels. But early detection is what you can save your (sex) life.
Here are a few apps to help you keep track of your numbers daily.
- Instant Heart Rate+ for iPhone or Android measures your pulse using your smartphone camera.
- Blood Pressure Companion for iPhone measures your blood pressure and heart rate while helping you analyze progress over time.
- Blood Glucose Tracker for Android helps you log and analyze your blood glucose levels and track blood sugars.
Find a healthcare specialist
There’s tons of advice, articles, and guidance out there to help you improve your heart health and sex life on your own. But working with a healthcare provider who specializes in hormone therapy is the safest and most effective way to get back on track.
By combining your health history, lifestyle, lab work, and personal goals, you get a customized treatment plan that returns your body to its natural functions. Here’s more detailed information about customized therapy plans.
But don’t hesitate to call us today to schedule an in-person consultation. We’ll review your options and talk to you more about how hormone replacement therapy can help your desire and ability for sex improve.